Live Study Hours - 7.5 hours plus free optional academic support session
Level 5 CSARN Academy in partnership with TINYg.info (30 credits)
Monday 11th September to Friday 15th September 2023
Monday 13th November to Friday 17th November 2023
Format: Live Online and tutor supported with virtual learning platform/library
Fee - £499 + VAT
Businesses and security professionals are increasingly concerned about delivering their employees and customers a professional level in 'duty of care' in countering terrorism. This course formally educates and accredits attendees in understanding and potentially mitigating terrorism events in and around their premises and events. It is applicable to all first-responders, police personnel and security professionals in any international territory, particularly those facing potential new legislation, such as Martyn's Law in the UK or various legal revisions elsewhere.
The Global Terrorism Index reports that there are some 5,000 terror attacks each year spread across some 120 countries. Attack motivations are varied (religious, political, homophobic, incel) and security events are almost always pre-planned providing significant preventative and incident response opportunities for qualified, well-informed, professionals.
This crucial counter-terrorism course leads with five sections covering:
Who should attend?
Contemporary nature of terrorism – roots of terrorism; international terrorism and its evolution; case studies and typologies of method and motivation; People, Targets and Magnets; Laws, definitions and categorizations. Counter-terrorism legislation including the potential ‘Martyn’s Law’
Profiling, decision-making and motivations – motivations, types and planning cycle of perpetrators. Religious, political, homophobic and incel. Lone Actors, Group Settings
- Securing the Attack Surface – securing buildings with case study; securing personnel with case study; cyber security and case studies; Convergence and integrating physical, information systems and personnel security and working through the ISO 27001 Annex of physical security environment security controls
Business Continuity Planning and Impacts – BCP guidance and planning; policies, processes and implementation; adding ‘people’ into the plan; aligning BCP to holistic organizational resilience.
Responding and Recovery – Crisis Management; Crisis Communications; Incident Response including Information Systems; Risk Frameworks and framing ‘risk’ appetite; Threat Intelligence and the ‘Intelligence Cycle’.
This Level 5 course in Terrorism Awareness and Management is designed to be attended by at-work learners who are tasked with securing or leading the security and resilience of their organisations. Former attendees have included police forces, business and charity CEOs, MDs, security and resilience directors, as well as those in tactical and operational roles, delivering security and emergency planning within police and first responder communities.
This course is formally endorsed by the CSARN Global Cyber Academy and will earn you 30 Level 5 equivalent Ofqual credits upon passing all modules..
Delivered upon a university-standard Virtual Learning Environment, this course programme is an interactive, accessible, dynamic learning experience – with key formal assessment interventions at the end. The learning journey is structured across five distinct sections (mini-modules) and quality assured by one of the UK’s leading universities. Delivery consists of:
- Online ‘Live’ Tutorials – 7.5 hours (Monday to Friday 16.30 to 18.00 UK time).
- FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT ATTEND LIVE - Access to all recorded course video presentations
- Access to course library and learning support materials via our Virtual Learning Environment. The learning portal includes an online library; academic writing support guides; course slides with references; assignment briefs; an announcements page and discussion board
- Assessment: four core summative assessments and one elective. Marked with ‘feedback to improve’ and a percentage mark within one month by course tutors.
Certification and accreditation:
- All course attendees attending the five ‘live’ days will receive a completion certificate from the CSARN Academy
- Those submitting and passing (at 40% or above) the four core summative assessments and one elective, will be awarded a Level 5 Award Certificate by the CSARN Academy
Tutor: Richard Bingley - author of books 'Cyber Terrorism' and 'Terrorism Just the Facts'. Former Cabinet Minister visits coordinator, university senior lecturer in security and organisational resilience and executive director for security at London First. Richard has served in a variety of other specialist security and close protection roles for government and commercial sector employers and clients.